Surya Bhedana Pranayama : Steps, Benefits and Precautions
What is Surya Bhedana Pranayama:
Surya Bhedana is one of the 8th Classical Pranayama described in “Hatha Yoga” and it is a Right Nostrils Breathing technique. The basic effect of this pranayama is to energize the sun element of our body and Lungs absorb most of the energy.
The actual meaning of Surya Bhedana is divided into “Surya” which means “Sun” and “Bhedana” means “Piercing” or Entering of solar energy through the right nostrils.
In terms of Yoga, our right nostrils are also known as the “Gateway Of Sun Energy” and like that it energizes our body with hot and powerful vitality of the sun. So basically this breathing is all about inhaling through right nostrils in the form of solar energy and exhaling through left nostrils after holding the breath for a time.
Steps Of Surya Bhedana Pranayama:
- First, sit comfortably in a crossed-leg position like Padmasana or Sukhasana.
- Sitting in a comfortable place close your eyes and make sure that your spine, neck, and back should be straight and upward lifted.
- Then using Mrigi Mudra close your left nostrils with your Little and Ring finger.
- Make sure that you do it with your right hand and your Middle Finger and Index finger should be down warded.
- Now start inhaling through your right nostrils slowly and smoothly.
- After inhaling close your right nostrils with your right-hand Thumbs for a few seconds.
- And lastly, Exhale with your left nostrils releasing your Little and Ring finger keeping your right nostrils close.
- Do the complete process 5-10 times in the beginning.
Benefits Of Surya Bhedana Pranayama:
- Surya Bhedi pranayama purifies the blood and fills up the oxygen supply.
- Helps to improve the efficiency of the digestive system.
- In Surya Bhedi sun energy directly gives our body energy and warmth.
- The practice of this pranayama helps to clean the Frontal Sinuses.
- Beneficial for people suffering from Cold, Cough, and Asthma.
- Truly recommended practicing in Winter as it provides too much Warmth.
- Also beneficial for Low Blood Pressure Patient.
- It benefits all skin related problems.
- Women who are suffering from a lack of Sexual Desire this is helpful for them.
- Helps to reduce anxiety and it is a stress buster.
- The daily practice of Surya Bhedi makes people more attractive and fresh.
- Sometimes it kills the initial and basic worms and bacteria in our body.
- Helps to activate the Pranic Energy and give Strength.
Precautions Of Surya Bhedana Pranayama:
- For Practicing Surya Bhedana there are some precautions which are needed to be followed. These are some points.
- This pranayama should be done an empty stomach or should be done 4-5 hours after eating.
- People with High Blood Pressure should avoid practicing Surya Bhedi Pranayama.
- Also, people with Heart-related problems and epilepsy should not do this.
- People with any recent surgeries should consult a doctor before practicing it.
- Do not even try to do both Surya Bhedana and Chandra Bhedana on the same day.
- Always remember to inhale with Right Nostrils.
- Always remember to exhale with your Left Nostrils.