Chandra Bhedana Pranayama : Steps , Benefits & Precautions
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Meaning
In Sanskrit language the first word Chandra means ‘moon’ /‘lunar aspect’ and the last word means ‘piercing’/‘penetrating’. so, the full word Chandra Bhedana Pranayama means “moon piercing breathing”. this pranayama also known as ‘Chandra Bhedi Pranayama’.
Breathing technique in Chandra Bhedana Pranayama increases the coolness in your body because on inhalation, the air is filled with cooling energy of Ida Nadi , on exhalation, hotness of the body is exhaled from your right nostril. Therefore this pranayama is also known as ‘left nostril breathing’.
also governs the feminine and creative sides of a person. So practicing this Chandra bhedana is beneficial when you are in stress, need creative ideas, lacking imagination, passion, or interest in your work. It imparts a very positive effect on your mind and handles cognitive functions such as attention, processing of visual shapes, patterns, emotions, verbal ambiguity, and implied meanings.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Steps
You can perform Chandra Bhedana Pranayama on any kind of soft surface. but you can keep your body in direct contact with the earth this will enhance your breathing effect.
You can follow these steps to perform chandra bhedana pranayama:
- Firstly you have to seat in a meditative posture that is easy pose or lotus pose. then you have to Straighten your back, eyes closed, and focus on your tip of your nostril watching breath coming in and out from your body.
- after this relax your left hand on your left kneecap and make Vishnu Mudra with your right hand.
- after this you have to bend your right hand and lift up near the nostrils. then you can close the right nostril with the right thumb so you can only breathe in through from your left nostril.
- you can start the first round of Chandra Bhedana pranayama by taking a deep breath through your left nostril and fill your chest to the fullest capacity.
- After this you can close your left nostril with your right ring finger and begin ‘breathing out’ through your right nostril.
- by this you complete one round of Chandra bhedana pranayama.
- no do this same and breath in through your left nostril and breath out through your right nostril.
- you can repeat the process 10 times in one stretch.
- After completing these steps, you can release the right-hand mudra first and remain in the same sitting position for a few breaths, and then stand up.
Time Of Practice
It is very importaint to know what is the right time to practice Chandra Bhedana Pranayama as it gives coolness to your body. So you have to be aware about the weather also.
Chandra Bhedana pranayama is better to perform in the early morning in summer season. Because the sun rises early in summer and this is the time when sunlight is fresh and it is full of positive energy.
due to the cold outer environment in winter season, early morning practice of Chandra bhedana pranayama might be difficult in the open. So, it's better if you can wait for the right environmental conditions to practice in open or when the sun comes.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Benefits
- Relieves mental tension- the regular practice of this pranayama relieves mental tension and calms your mind.
- Activates Chandra – By practicing this pranayama, the Chandra Nadi becomes active in your body and Coldness is transmitted to your entire umbilical cord of the body.
- Relieves in Pitta Disease – By practicing this, you can have a great benefit in pitta disease(if you have).
- Balance your High Blood Pressure- People who have high blood pressure problems they must do this pranayama in regular basic.
- Chandra Bhedi Pranayam reduces our body heat.
- it is Useful in heart-burning problems.
- Very effective in high blood pressure.
- Useful in fever.
- by doing this pranayama your mind becomes steady.
- Reduces the flow of gall.
- In last, The benefits of this pranayama are quite opposite to the benefits of Suryabhedi pranayama.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Precaution
- you should not practice this pranayama during winters.
- People who are suffering from heart disease, low blood pressure, or any kind of epilepsy, they should avoid this pranayama.
- In the initial stage of this pranayama, do not hold the breath. take it easy
- you have to perform this pranayama with an empty stomach.
- you can practice this Chandra Bhedana pranayama 4-5 hours after having food.
- more importaint that to kepp the Inhale and exhale ratio of 1:2.
- you can reduce the ratio of breathing. if you feel a little bit of stiffness,
- Do not do the Chandra Bhedana and Surya bhedana Pranayam on the exact same day.
- you should not performed this pranayama if you are suffering from any kind of cold, that will increases the cooling in your body.